Chic little cottage near the sailing town of Lymington and the New Forest
Prussian-blue velvet echoes the nearby sea; coppers and browns reflect the New Forest: this cottage is an ode to its south-England setting. With two double bedrooms it’s perfect for a small family or friends after a restorative break in this laid-back and beautiful area of the UK. Or book it as a couple and relish the space: dogs are welcome, too. You’re right by the marina, where yachts bob, seagulls call and there’s a lido during summer months. And it’s an easy stroll to the gorgeous Georgian town centre, all cobbled streets and coffee houses.
If you’ve come by car, drive to the New Forest for glorious heathland walks; wild ponies graze contentedly around you and the colours are magnificent. If you’ve come by train, hire bikes to zip over and explore. There are brilliant pubs and restaurants for a pit stop, including The Pig Brockenhurst, whose food is divine. Then it’s home to light the woodburner if its chilly, or sit in the sunny garden and pop the Prosecco that awaits you in the fridge. Cheers!
Use of renewable energy; full recycling.
- Spend a day on the water, sailing or fishing; local places offer boat hire and skippered trips.
- There’s an artisan market on the High Street every Saturday, a tradition which dates back to 1250. Breads and cheeses, flowers, vegetables and a range of craft stalls.
- In summer, swim in the lido (Sea Water Baths), which has a range of inflatables for kids.
- The owner recommends The Mayflower for a pint or supper, as well as The Haven on the coastal path.
- Hire bikes to cycle along the coast, or explore the beautiful New Forest, with its wild ponies and stunning heathland.
- Families will love Woodside Park, which has a fairy trail, skate park, adventure playground and tennis tables.
- Nearby Apple Court has stunning gardens; visit in July when the daylilies bloom.
- Day trip to the Isle of Wight to marvel at its sheer chalk-white cliffs and the famous Needles.