A stunning apartment-for-2 with a unique botanical garden, in the heart of buzzy St Ives
There are masses of apartments to rent in St Ives, but this one is head and shoulders above the rest (except, perhaps, its upstairs sister). The lower half of a house in the picturesque ‘Downalong’ area – the former fishermen’s quarter – it combines the creative heritage of the town with unique mid-century décor. Quite the mix.
The owners spent months sourcing the vintage furniture and choosing quirky modern furnishings to offset it, and we adore its colourful green palette. There’s a 50s velvet cocktail chair, bold emerald tiling and a vintage rocking chair. Tall wicker lampshades dangle over the Eero Saarinen dining table; quirky art includes a papier mache horse head and a folksy loom hanging. Every tiny detail exudes style. And best of all, once you’ve explored the town’s winding lanes and golden beaches, there’s a private botanical garden for balmy evenings and alfresco breakfasts.
Getting here: drive or come by train (direct link from London Paddington); 5-min taxi from the station.
- Meander the cobbled streets of ‘Downalong’, popping into the independent galleries and artist studios.
- Spend a day on gorgeous Porthmeor Beach, and try your hand at surfing; St Ives Surf School offers tuition and board hire.
- The beach is overlooked by the iconic Tate Gallery – visit its exhibitions or just have coffee on the rooftop terrace, soaking up the sea panoramas.
- At the other end of town you’ll find golden Porthminster beach, another beauty, with aquamarine waters. The Porthminster Café does fab fish’n’ chips for lunch.
- Angela highly recommends the Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden.
- Walk the South West Coast path towards Zennor, with stunning views in all directions.
3rd night free when you book a 3-night winter stay.
Stay dates: 1 Nov 2020–28 Feb 2021, excluding school holidays. Message the owner to enquire/book and quote 3 for 2.
Book by 16 October 2020.