A pair of beautiful 3-bed cottages on a forested estate in Cairngorms National Park, with true wilderness just beyond the gate
Each sleeps 6
There’s something so special about watching your kids run free in nature, away from screens and lost in their imaginations. Stays on this wooded estate promise wild adventures from dawn to dark. Red squirrels and pine martens race through the 3 acres of shared gardens; there’s a zipwire on the lawn, dens amongst the trees. Head through the gate and you’re right in Caingorms National Park, where you can swim in lochs and bike through spectacular mountainscapes.
These beautiful cottages – one a standalone building, the other part of the Georgian main house – look well-aged from the outside, but have modern, Scandinavian-inspired interiors. Neutral tones and natural rattan blend beautifully with ancient wooden beams and granite walls, creating a easy, cosy atmosphere. Crofters has a library; Kitchen has a piano; choose which your kids will be best-inspired by. Or book both cottages with another family and create some campfire songs for evenings around the woodland firepit. Maybe the owls will join in, too.
Getting here: drive, or train Aviemore then taxi (20 mins)
All heating and hot water is supplied by biomass boilers.
- The estate itself is huge, 3 acres of shared garden and woodland. You can let your kids roam safely and discover the zipline that zooms into the trees.
- BBC’s Springwatch was filmed here recently, which gives you an idea of the huge variety of wildlife you’ll see: red deer, pine marten, badger, red squirrel, and a huge variety of birds. Bring binoculars!
- Take a guided nature walk into Caingorms National Park park, and watch your kids’ excitement when they spy mountain hares, reindeer, osprey, even golden eagles.
- Cycle to Loch Garten for wild swimming – don’t forget wetsuits, warm clothes and a flask of hot chocolate for afterwards.
- Gather around the woodland fire pit in the evenings to toast marshmallows, spot bats, listen for owls and tell spooky stories in the moonlight.