Super-stylish and secluded little bolthole on the stunning Yorkshire Dales
**3 nights for the price of 2, for any midweek stays booked before 31 January 2020 (Mon-Thurs; excludes Bank Holiday weeks). Just message the owner (via the Book Direct section below) and quote Kip 3-for-2.**
Talk about romantic: this gorgeous tiny house perches in the middle of nowhere, with the breathtaking Yorkshire Dales stretching out for miles in all directions. The panoramas are framed by every window and door; if you’re feeling lazy, just appreciate them from the marshmallow-comfort of the bed. Apart from a couple of nearby cottages there’s just you, the cows, and the moorland sheep – if you’re looking for seclusion and absolute peace, there’s nowhere better. And with no mobile reception or WiFi, you can truly escape.
Hike or cycle across dramatic moorland, stopping at traditional pubs for a local ale or lunch, and daytrip to historic Richmond and pretty Dales towns: Reeth, Masham and Northallerton. Then return to this tiny gem to cook in the beautiful dark-blue kitchen or BBQ local sausages and toast marshmallows over the firepit as the sun sets. With a total lack of street lights, the night skies are incredible.
Getting there: you’ll need to drive.
- Walk over stunning moorland to Reeth, a pretty Dales town, then reward yourself with a pint of Black Sheep’s Riggwelter.
- Rebecca’s drawn up a list of other wonderful walks, too, most with a pub en route for lunch.
- Sit on the terrace and listen to the moorland birds sing – there are Wheatear, Ring Ouzel, Red Grouse, Cuckoo and 3 species of Owl (Barn, Short eared and Little Owl).
- Hire a bike and try some of the area’s famous hill climbs: the cottage is close to the Buttertubs Pass, with its sheer drops and killer views. (Or just drive it!)
- Afternoon tea at Betty’s in Northallerton is an institution. Other market towns worth a mooch are Bedale, Leyburn and Masham, which hosts a traditional market in its cobbled square on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- Don’t miss the delightful Hackfall Woods, a beautiful ancient woodland of follies, grottoes, waterfalls and ponds. Visit in spring for carpets of bluebells.