Quirky and quietly luxurious little apartment in the heart of historic Rye
From the moment you enter this apartment’s deep-blue hallway, you’re immersed all-things nautical. The owner grew up in Rye, and her love of the seaside is illustrated throughout: a wall of gold plates embossed by ancient ships; dangling fishermen’s lanterns, mock portholes, tiny model ships and exotic shells. Even the colour scheme runs through a spectrum of ocean shades, from stormy dark blue to calm blue grey, with accents of white dancing like seaspray. It’s super creative and clever.
On the lower floor, beautiful armchairs with footstools beckon you to relax in the light-filled lounge, perhaps with the windows open to hear seabirds calling. Up above, there’s a double bedroom tucked into the eaves, and a cosy second bedroom with curtained cabin beds; kids will love staying here. But the location is the best bit. You’re overlooking Lion Street in the heart of pretty Rye, with interesting shops, boho cafes and history all around you. And after a day’s exploring, you get to return to this characterful little hideaway for peace and a whole lotta home comfort.
Getting here: drive or train to Rye and walk.
- The owner’s shop is on the ground floor: an Aladdin’s cave of global fashion and luxurious everyday items. Guests get a 10% discount.
- Wander Rye’s cobbled streets and little winding lanes, full of artisan shops and independent cafes. Knoops does the best hot chocolate; The Fig Rye is amazing for brunch (think Peruvian corn cake with chimichurri, poached eggs and nigella seeds, plus a Root Power smoothie).
- You’re yards from the Citadel; climb St Mary’s church tower for amazing panoramas over the town and out to sea.
- Walk to Camber Sands or hire electric bikes to zip over to Winchelsea Beach.
- Book in for a luxurious Aveda treatment at The Rye Retreat spa.
- Day trip to atmospheric Dungeness, Britain’s only desert, almost eerie in its sparse beauty. Watch the sky for hundreds of swallows, swifts and martins in the spring and autumn – this is a migration hotspot.
3rd night free when you book a 3-night winter stay.
Stay dates: 1 Nov 2020–28 Feb 2021, excluding school holidays. Message the owner to enquire/book and quote 3 for 2.
Book by 16 October 2020.