An utterly unique little hideaway for 2, right in the centre of Hay-on-Wye
Sleeps 2 + a baby
Tucked beneath a gabled roof in this literary lovers’ town lies a gorgeous little apartment for 2. Light filled and characterful, with ancient wooden beams and wonky floors, it’s delightfully quirky throughout. Whitewashed walls are a blank canvas for an ever-changing art display, most of which is by the owner whose gallery is on the ground floor; if you fall in love with a piece, ask to buy it! Her creativity also shines through in witty little touches such as ‘the naughty step’, and eclectic objets everywhere you look. While Hay is best-known for its bookshops, it’s a lovely town to visit even if you’re not a reader. All of the shops are independents: fabulous galleries, boho cafes, vintage fashion and all-things homeware. The apartment is right in the heart of the bustle but a quiet and calm little space, with fabulous views up to the castle from its cushioned window seats. And then, of course, there are Wales’ wider charms, all on your doorstep. The Black Mountains for walking and cycling; the River Wye for canoeing.
Getting here: train to Hereford then bus or taxi (18 miles)
- Mooch around town, exploring the great boutiques and restaurants. We love Shepherd’s Parlour for amazing ice cream on a hot (or any) day. The flavours are really imaginative – including rich Lebanese coffee and a zingy marmalade.
- Talking of food, there’s a fantastic deli 2 doors down from the apartment, plus an excellent greengrocer and baker nearby. The weekly Thursday market sells farmers’ and artisan produce from all over the region.
- Have a pint of ale in the Blue Boar, the locals’ local. Or try The Globe, where the food’s fantastic.
- The owner can give you a healing, restorative and transformational Gong Bath, or arrange for a visiting masseur.
- Walk for miles in the Wye Valley, or stroll up river to Glasbury, have lunch at the River Cafe, then hire a canoe to paddle back down to Hay (the company come and collect it when you alight).
- Hire bikes in town and cycle to and around the brooding Black Mountains.
4th night free when you book a 4-night midweek winter stay.
Stay dates: Mon-Thurs, 1 Nov 2020–28 Feb 2021, excluding school holidays. Message the owner to enquire/book and quote 4 for 3.
Book by 16 October 2020.