A breathtakingly beautiful lakeside hideaway, amid acres of private parkland
Sleeps 2 + baby
Imagine a pretty woodland of ancient oak and ash, where wild deer graze contentedly in the silence. Then picture a gorgeous handcrafted cabin on the edge of the idyll, with rustic wooden walls and huge glass windows. Rattan easy chairs on the terrace overlooking a lake where swans glide by… Pretty special, right? And this is just the exterior of the most incredible romantic hideaway, that’s just opened in Norfolk.
It sits amid 30 acres of stunning parkland, shared only by a couple of quirkily restored carriages and the owners’ house. If you don’t want to see anyone else while you’re here, you needn’t. Because aside from long, peaceful walks, we doubt you’ll want to leave the cabin. The most stunning interiors spoil you rotten – a handcrafted kitchen, a kingsize bed dressed in Piglet linens, a luxurious rolltop bath, and leather armchairs to read in. But the little things really impress, too. Tiny handcarved vases with decorative fern fronds, and macramé baskets dangling a trail of green leaves. Everything about this place is a joy.
Drive here or train to Attleborough then taxi.
- The parkland is home to all sorts of wildlife, including Muntjac, roe deer and hares. The 3 lakes are visited by swans, Canadian geese, herons, kingfishers and many song birds. Just wander and watch.
- Further afield there are peaceful, beautiful trails through Thetford Forest and Kings Forest.
- Local area Breckland is one of the few areas in England you might spy a golden pheasant in the wild. Bring bikes and you can cycle the unique 8-mile Pingo loop.
- Take a whisky tour at a local distillery, or visit a Neolithic flint mine.
- Wyeken Vineyard produces award-winning wines and hosts a Saturday farmers’ market, where you can stock up on regional produce. It’s also home to the excellent Leaping Hare restaurant, which has a daily-changing menu inspired by whatever’s freshest in their kitchen garden. Have a long lazy lunch then retreat home to light your woodburner.