A pair of rustic-luxe eco cabins, hidden in 2 acres of woodland near Dartmoor
So this is why people go off-grid for a break. No tech, no stress, just a stunning woodland surrounded by countryside, meaning you hear birdsong instead of email alerts. Two gorgeous cabins share two acres of woodland (you do the math), and instead of commuters you’ll see wildlife – dragonflies, buzzards, kingfishers if you’re lucky. Oh, and owners Jo and Ben, who’ll swing by to greet you. Ask in advance and they’ll bring you a basket of their seasonal veg from their kitchen garden and polytunnel, along with the best local produce – bacon, sausage, eggs, cheese and honey. They can point you to the region’s highlights – wild swimming spots on Dartmoor, stunning Cornish beaches, and footpaths through glorious countryside.
But if you really want to unwind, just chuck your car keys in a drawer and swing in the hammock instead. There’s a stream to paddle in, time to read, and you can wander along to the Clovelly Inn if you fancy a pint (dogs and children welcome). Return to starry skies, your firepit, and a refreshing night’s sleep – you’ll soon get into the groove.
Getting here: you’ll need to drive.
Sustainability runs through the very heart of this place. From sophisticated solar set ups to easy-to-use dry toilets, a circular approach to waste, growing food for guests on site, natural water filtration systems, bee hives and a wildlife pond are amongst the many strategies in place. This is so much more than a nod to eco-tourism, whilst offering contemporary, year-round comfortable and cosy cabins.
- Go wild swimming at Meldon pools on Dartmoor (15 mins’ drive); an exhilarating plunge into pure water.
- Follow walking routes straight out from the property (maps provided). They vary from half an hour to 5 hours, past fields, lakes, churches, even a phone box filled with cake!
- Hire bikes and cycle the Granite Way, along the old railway track from Okehampton, stopping for a local cider at one of the pubs en route.
- Roadford Lake (10 mins’ drive) offers canoeing, windsurfing, birdwatching and a peaceful circular cycle route.
- Okehampton’s Simmons Park is a beautiful sprawl of wooded valleys and boulder-strewn rivers, that eventually leads up to Dartmoor (15 mins’ drive).
- On a sunny day, Bude is perfection: stunning Cornish beaches, proper ice cream and pasties, great seafood restaurants and cliff-top walks (45 mins’ drive).