Whimsical and utterly unique hideaway in the centre of town (sleeps 2)
Everything in this tiny Grade II-listed cottage has a story. The kitchen splashback was once a billiards table, the stained-glass mirror an old window; the shabby-chic bedhead spent its former life as a fireplace mantel. It is the most glorious blend of eclectic treasures, each individually sourced from flea markets and auctions by the owner, whose background is in fashion. Stay twice and the space may look completely different; she is constantly restyling her home. When you step out of the front door, you’re right in the medieval heart of Rye, all cobblestones and brilliant independent shops. And when you return after a day’s exploring, this feels like a secret little sanctuary of your own, almost another world. It brims with colour and joie de vivre – boho beauty at its best.
Getting here: drive or come by train
Except for the bed, bedding and towels, everything in the cottage is reclaimed.
- Explore Rye. You’re right on the high street, full of fantastic independents. The owner’s top recommendation for a mooch is McCully & Crane, art and interiors.
- Follow footpaths out to Rye’s nature reserve, a beautiful mosaic of salt marsh, saline lagoon and reedbeds that teems with birdlife. Or download the Ordnance Survey app for other local walks.
- Hire bikes at Rye Cycle Hire and spin over to Camber Sands for the day, a gorgeous golden stretch.
- Drive to Fairlight to watch the sun rise then head to Pett Level for a swim in its sheltered cove.
- The Standard is a cosy pub with a small beer garden and really good food, or get takeout fish & chips from Marinos and eat it in the garden back home, with the festoon lights twinkling.
- In winter, go for a blustery walk along the coast then light the log burner and cosy down in the living room watching films.
3rd night free when you book a 3-night winter stay.
Stay dates: 1 Nov 2020 – 28 February 2021, excluding school holidays. Message the owner to enquire/book and quote 3 for 2.
Book by 16 October 2020.