Quirky and romantic hideaway in a secluded mid-Wales meadow
Staying in this beautifully unique wagon is almost a time-travelling experience, taking you back to the 1920s and a circus showman’s life. From the authentic green and gold exterior to the period lamps, velvet curtains, vintage stove and elegant woodwork inscriptions, you get all the old feel and atmosphere of the period, combined with contemporary comforts.
Along with big views across fields and copses to the Black Mountains, and countryside walks from the front door, you’ll discover utter peace but for birdsong. Watch goldfinches as you laze in the cosy bedchamber, woodpeckers through the window of the cedarwood bathroom. The deck out front is an all-day suntrap, and you can pick apples from the surrounding orchard and gather wild herbs to cook with. A rejuvenating adventure in a little world of your own.
Getting here: drive or train to Abergavenny then taxi (20 mins)
Full recycling and the woodburner logs are locally sourced from sustainable woodlands.
- Walks lead out from the front door. Annie recommends the wild countryside stroll to famed St Margarets Church (less than a mile).
- Or drive a short while to Black Hill then hike up the Cat’s Back. Views towards Hay Bluff are breathtaking.
- Walk across the fields to The Bridge Inn for a hearty dinner, then wander back by starlight.
- Hay-on-Wye (18km) is renowned for its second-hand bookshops and brilliant independents. Break for a coffee in Shepherd’s Parlour and try their delicious sheeps-milk ice cream; the marmalade is perfectly zingy.
- Spend a sunny day at The Warren, a lovely remote beach on the River Wye, near Hay. It’s great for swimming and you can bring disposable BBQs to cook sausages as the sun sets.
- Taxi to Abergavenny for a special meal at the Michelin-starred Walnut Tree; booking ahead essential.
3rd night free when you book a 3-night winter stay.
Stay dates: 1 Nov 2020 – 28 February 2021, excluding school holidays. Message the owner to enquire/book and quote 3 for 2.
Book by 15 October 2020.