Gorgeous contemporary barn conversion in a peaceful Peak District village
In the 1800s, this barn was part of the village’s Red Lion pub, with a dance room on its first floor, and beer and wine storage down below. Fast forward to present day and though the ancient beams and original shutters still remain, the ale barrels have been replaced by 2 gorgeously contemporary bedrooms; the dance floor magicked into a designer kitchen and light-filled lounge, with a wood-burner for wintry evenings.
Friends, couples and families will all love staying here. Set high above Dovedale with views stretching for miles, it’s a brilliant base for Peak District walking, while woodland trails, classic country houses, caves and little zoos are an easy drive away. What’s more, the Red Lion itself has been replaced by the famous George pub, which serves award-winning food. Meaning you can keep that beautiful kitchen Insta-ready.
- Explore the epic Peak District National Park. Walk through Luds Church and climb Stanage Edge or The Roaches, both of which offer amazing panoramas.
- Bring bikes to whiz along the Manifold Trail and – if you’re feeling brave – the High Peak Trail.
- Calke Abbey and Little Moreton Hall are fun stately homes for family days out, whilst elegant Chatsworth House is home to the Duke of Derbyshire.
- Zip up to the Heights of Abraham by cable car, a hilltop park with cave tours and an adventure playground. Or take an underground boat tour of Speedwell Cavern, along a 200-year-old lead mine to a massive subterranean lake.
- Little’ins will love Matlock Farm Park (sheep racing and a petting corner) and Gulliver’s Kingdom, with its Lost World of Dinosaurs and JCB digger land.